Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Un-bored Iron Board Cover

 This project is a long time coming, my old cover was a white with cats on it and very stained, now cats are alright but not in my decor.  I actually disposed of it awhile ago,  I've been planning on making a new one for ages now just never got around to it.  Well no time like the present, no more towels on top of my iron board.  I'm glad it turned out because well I kinda winged it.

First I layed my fabric and iron board face down, measured 3 inches all the way around the board and cut it out
 Set your sewing machine on a zig zag stitch, take a length of elastic mine was about 2 1/2 yards but I ended up trimming it later.  Now begin sewing the elastic around the outside edge of the fabric being sure to keep the elastic stretched while sewing. 

 Sew the elastic all the way around, overlapping slightly at the end.  Trim the access elastic.

 Spritz the elastic and run a warm iron over it.
 I still had the padding for in between the board and the cover, so I just reused that.  Though I'm sure you could use any kind of heat friendly quilting batting, insul-brite would work well to help reflect the heat back up.
 There was a little sliding so I just added a stretch of elastic across the ends about 4-5 inches from the ends.
 My finished project, I love it.  The perfect addition my craft room.  Expect to see this and coordinating fabrics to show up in future decor projects for my craft room!!!
A trial run on a special project, more on that later.
All these organization project, taking time to sew felt great.  I love the new Singer Brandon got me for Christmas, Thank You Baby!!!!!!!!  Also excited to share that I'm fostering an industrial leather machine, pending adoption depending on how she runs!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment